Even though a company named Android was stared in 2003 by three well known personalities ( Andy Rubin :co-founder of Danger; Rich Miner-co-founder of Wildfire Communications, Inc; Nick Sears - VP at T-Mobile) , the company operated secretly, revealing only that the company is working on a new mobile operating system.
In 2005 Google acquired Android Inc and the road map of the company was reset according the the interests of Google. Google basically wanted their powerful searching technologies to be on mobile devices and working hard towards achieving that objective through Android acquisition. In 2007, they applied to obtain several telephone technology related patents apparently proving this speculation.
In 2007, again several well known companies got together and formed an alliance known as " Open Handset Alliance" and the idea behind was to develop "open stand" for mobile devices. The companies that were involved were, Broadcom Corporation, Google, HTC, Intel, LG, Marvell Technology Group, Motorola, Nvidia, Qualcomm, Samsung Electronics, Sprint Nextel, T-Mobile and Texas Instruments .
As a result of all these efforts, first product , Android, a mobile device platform built on the Linux kernel version 2.6 was introduced.
Saturday, August 13, 2011
I created the graph showing market research trends for mobile operating systems.Other than Android rest of operating systems are desingined for those company headsets. Data are from en.Wikipedia where those data are taken from Gartner Inc (Gartner: Android leads, Windows Phone lags in Q1". Gartner, Inc. 2011-05-19. Table 2. http://news.cnet.com /8301-13506_3-20064223-17.html. Retrieved 2011-05-19.). There are 3 clear observations.
- After the introduction of android in 2008 and after it got momentum in 2009 , already declining market leader Symbion( Nokia) started to decline in a faster rate and its continuing in the same trend in Q1 in 2011.
- Blackberry was growing and in 2009 it started declining when Android gain momentum.
- iOS still growing but slower rate than it was before 2009.
Friday, August 12, 2011
Why there is lot of talk about mobile operating system Android? What are the benefits and what is the use of it for developers?What are the similarities and differences advantages and disadvantages of Android when compared to Symbion and IOS?
Thursday, August 11, 2011
AndroiD is an operating system for mobile devices such as mobile telephones and tablet computers developed by Google Inc and the Open Handset Alliance.
- Android initially was developed by Android Inc.
- Google purchased Android Inc in 2005.
- Open headset alliance (consist of more than 80 ICT companies) funded and along with Google they unveiled the first version of Android in 2007.
- Android is based on Linux Kernel.
- Middleware libraries and APIs are written in C.
- Application software is based on Java compatible libraries.
- Dalvik VM is used to run Java complied Java codes just in time(JIT compilation)
- Android has very large community of its "App" (application) developers.
- These developers extend the functionality of Android with their Apps.
- They mostly use Java for development.